6.02.2009

Life is like chess...

Chess, it's a game. It's like life. Life is not a game... or is it? It doesn't mean we can't play, fight back. There are lots of days where I feel like Life's pawn, where it's just waiting to screw me over and hurl me into the path of the queen.

Things are unfolding slowly, though. We wait for something better, in time, it comes. Things are falling into place, at last. It's the little things that get you through the day - a cup of tea for breakfast, an A on a biology quiz you studied so hard for, catching fireflies, lying in bed at night and listening to the giant bullfrog under your window...

I think I'm going to pull out, at last. Anne Lamott says there are only two true prayers - "Help me, help me, help me," and "Thank you, thank you, thank you." She's right. For most of this year, it's been "Help me, help me, help me," but this May and June, it's all gotten better. It's the end of the stupid school year, at last. Summer won't exactly be a relaxing break, but for now, I am happy where I am. That's all that matters, right?

Maybe the pawns are the ones who save the day. Seemingly the most disposable, they're like the unsung heroes in chess, who pave the way for the big pieces to cream the opposing team. They get thrown into the path of danger with no complaint, then they're stuck watching their teammates win after they threw that poor little pawn away.

Sometimes, I think, these little pawns should see their teams lose. It's sweet revenge in a sick, twisted way. They threw you away for nothing, maybe now they regret it. Sometimes, I think it takes a loss for people to wake up and rethink their strategies. Sometimes, I think it takes stepping down from thinking only about the big pieces.

And sometimes, I just think too damn much.

No comments:

Hello!

Wow, you really read all that? Danggg. Props! =]

Well, I see you've just had the imponderable joy of stumbling onto the blog of an 18-year-old girl who can't really describe herself in 500 words or less, such as in little text boxes like these. She didn't intend her blog to really become so much like her online diary (she was hoping it would have an interesting, helpful purpose to serve the world and all) but blogging is just kind of fun. This girl's a bit of an environmentalist and a full-tilt vegetarian, a bit of an artist who can't draw, a bit of a writer who can't find time to read, and a completely hopeless romantic. She enjoys white chocolate, coloring, wading in creeks, music, Doctor Who, and speaking in third-person when it's unnecessary like this.

Now go read the rest of the blog and meet her, if you like of course. :)