8.17.2011

religion.

Here's the deal. I don't know what my religion is.

I guess I could call myself an agnostic Christian...? I'm not sure.

Basically, though, I believe there is a higher power out there. Or higher powers. Being raised a Christian, I choose to call it/those God. I could never prove to you His existence, but that doesn't mean I don't believe He does exist- because I do.  However, while I agree with some Christian principles, I think it's wrong to automatically assume that Christianity is the only religion that's right. Or any religion.

When we're dealing with the God I see, there is no one single path to religion. I think that God is the most powerful good imaginable, and I honestly don't think He would want His children to argue about who loves Him more or who He loves more or whatever. There's no reason that I couldn't find God through Hinduism, or Buddhism, or Islam, or Shintoism, or whatever. As long as the religion calls for goodwill towards each other, a higher power, and even oneself, I think it's right.

I pray the rosary because I want to, because I enjoy it, and because I think someone out there is listening. When I go to church, I do it because I want to meditate on my spiritual connection. I read the bible because I like the meaning behind the stories and it teaches good lessons. I don't take it literally. How can we prove those things all really happened, anyway? Scientifically, we can't.

Don't get me wrong. I have a deep admiration for those devout Christians who are at church every sunday, or those super intense Buddhist monks seeking enlightenment, or anyone from any religion who truly believes in that religion. I think that's great and I don't think any of them are wrong, because, like I said, I don't believe there is only one path to God. I just really hate to see people bashing each other over religion. I just don't think that's what God wants. Of course, I can't interpret God, just like I can't prove Him, but still. :)

On that note, though, I don't think anyone else should be able to tell me what God wants. The only thing any of us can do is guess. So those people who "haven't seen but believe," yeah, that's really great that you have such strong faith in God, but... honestly, how good is that for our society to never question anything? To just follow blindly because some dude said that it's the word of God? I think following blindly is dangerous, and no one should tell you what YOU believe. You should decide that for yourself; your mind and your beliefs are your own, and the gift of free will, I believe, is a gift from God. So we should use it wisely.

Also, I don't believe in Hell and stuff. People ask me, what do you think about natural disasters and stuff? If God is so good, why does that happen? Okay. Natural disasters, I think, are science, not religion. Same for birth defects and accidents. It's all really unfortunate and it sucks, but they can be explained. There's no mystery. Science is science, God is religious. I believe God has no control over any of us, he is only our loving creator who shapes our souls. God isn't science, so I think it's unfair to blame God for that. God shaped the earth and physics, and this is just what happens when they mix. On that note, if religion could be explained by science, there would be no religion. If science could be explained by religion, there would be no science. They can't mix. It's yin and yang, so to speak. That's what I love about faith. You just gotta know God is out there.

People ask, so why is there evil in the world, if you don't believe in Hell? Free will. I think that people can choose to do good or evil. If they choose to do evil... well. There you go. So what's my opinion on Satanists? If I believe everyone can be right? Well... they can too, I guess, but what they seek for is not the path to God or spiritual enlightenment or whatever, so I don't believe they can find Him that way. That's all.

Also, I believe in reincarnation. God, I think, is a forgiving guy; why should He only give us one chance if we mess up before sending us to suffer eternally in hell? That's a little harsh for the ultimate good guy. I think that God puts us in the life where we can learn the most. I mean, life is such a complex mystery, I just don't think it's possible to learn all its lessons in one life anyway. And then that's it. We're here to learn the lessons Life has to offer, so we can be worthy of spending eternity with the highest good, God Himself.

And that's all I have to say. So basically, I'm an agnostic with Christian tendencies? Or a Christian with agnostic tendencies? Hahaha. I don't know.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, my gosh! I just went through all of this, myself. I'm Episcopalian. I pray the rosary because it's a kind of meditation that I love. I pray faithfully because I'm unhappy without it. I kind of decided on Christian because it's what I've always been. But I believe in All Paths to God, which is a real thing! I think that by having faith, and by being a good person, you can find God. And at the end of your life, if you haven't found Him, he'll find you. I believe the Bible is written by Man. Even if God did help out. The message of love is good. The hate on gays and stuff is humanity and selfishness and insecurity poisining the Good Book. Control issues, really. But I pick and choose what I feel the strongest connection to God with. :) But here's the best part: I don't have to agree with you wholly. And you don't have to agree with me. That's just fine, because we can respect each other. That's the goodness of God, too.

Hello!

Wow, you really read all that? Danggg. Props! =]

Well, I see you've just had the imponderable joy of stumbling onto the blog of an 18-year-old girl who can't really describe herself in 500 words or less, such as in little text boxes like these. She didn't intend her blog to really become so much like her online diary (she was hoping it would have an interesting, helpful purpose to serve the world and all) but blogging is just kind of fun. This girl's a bit of an environmentalist and a full-tilt vegetarian, a bit of an artist who can't draw, a bit of a writer who can't find time to read, and a completely hopeless romantic. She enjoys white chocolate, coloring, wading in creeks, music, Doctor Who, and speaking in third-person when it's unnecessary like this.

Now go read the rest of the blog and meet her, if you like of course. :)